Honey is a sweet viscous and nutritious food substance made by honey bees from the nectar of flowers. It is one of the oldest food known to man, but this natural delight is much more than just a sweetener. As honey also works as an effective cure for ailments and a natural protective guard against infections. No one can deny the importance of honey in our lives. It has so many benefits that all of them can’t be penned down in a single go. Here’s a little effort to let you all know about the importance and benefits of honey.
Among Muslims, it has a special significance as the Holy Quran denotes it as a cure for mankind.
So What Islam says about Honey?
In Islam, honey has great importance as we can see the pieces of evidence in the following
Honey in Quran
Quran has described honey as a source of healing. In fact, Quran has a separate Surah named Nahl which means Bee in Arabic. This Surah is about honey and bees. In Surah Nahl, it is said that THERE ARE CURES FOR HUMANS IN HONEY.
It is stated in chapter 16 (Surah al-Nahl, the Chapter of the Bee), verses 69-70:
“And thy Lord has inspired the bee, saying, ‘Make thou houses in the hills and in the trees and in the trellises which they build. Then eat of every kind of fruit, and follow the ways of thy Lord that have been made easy for thee.’ There comes forth from their bellies a drink of varying hues. Therein is cure for men. Surely, in that is a Sign for a people who reflect.”
The Holy Quran also states “There comes forth from their bellies a drink of varying hues” i.e. it is of different colors.
Here it should be brought down to your knowledge that the different colors of honey are due to its different floral origins, which means the difference of source flower from which honeybees take nectar to make honey.
Honey in hadith
The Holy Quran has used the word SHIFA (cure) for the Holy Book itself and for honey only. This is why the Holy Prophet (S.A.A.W.W.) has also stated:
“Make use of the two cures: Honey and the Quran” (Sunan Ibn Majah)
It is also found to be stated as in Sahih Bukhari that the Prophet (S.A.A.W.W.) said: “Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Quran is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Quran and honey.”
And now if we specifically talk about the benefits of honey… Just keep in mind it has not only benefits regarding health but also in the fields of medicine and beauty industry etc.
Health regarding benefits
- Nutritionally, 1 tablespoon of honey (21 grams) contains 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar, including fructose, glucose, maltose, and sucrose.
- It also contains trace amounts — under 1% of the RDI — of several vitamins and minerals.
- High-quality honey contains many important antioxidants. Antioxidants are linked to reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and some types of cancer. They may also boost eye health.
- So due to these antioxidants, it can reduce several risk factors for heart disease common in people with type 2 diabetes.
- It may lower “bad” LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and inflammation while raising “good” HDL cholesterol. High LDL cholesterol levels is a strong risk factor for heart disease. This type of cholesterol plays a major role in atherosclerosis, the fatty accumulation in your arteries that can lead to heart attacks and strokes. Interestingly, several studies show that honey may improve your cholesterol levels.
- Wound care found honey efficient in healing partial-thickness burns and wounds that have become infected after surgery.
- For children over one year of age, it can act as a natural and safe cough suppressant. Some studies show that it is even more effective and useful than cough medicine.
Honey as a beauty product
- Raw honey is very beneficial and important in balancing the bacteria on your skin. It is also a natural exfoliator, which means applying it to your face takes off dry, dull skin and reveals new skin cells underneath.
- Honey removes all the wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots in one’s skin, making it look younger in the process. It contains a mild antiseptic that kills infection-causing bacteria to prevent acne and pimples.
- Honey is a perfect natural conditioner because it’s a humectant so maintains and attracts moisture. It gives your hair a smooth and healthy look.
- Mixed with oil such as olive or coconut, honey can become an excellent makeup remover and cleanser.